Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Since we last spoke...

It's been just over a year since we last spoke...I figure my life is about to change pretty substantially and I might as well document it somewhere...

Just to catch up a little, in the last year I have:

- completed a 31-day NOLS Outdoor Educator Mountaineering & Rock Climbing Course
- spent a week climbing and backpacking in Yosemite
- nearly completed a very frustrating year teaching senior English at Memphis City Schools
- gotten my Wilderness First Responder Certification
- had 3 great trail running races (Wade's Big Adventure, Swamp Stomper 50k, & Sylamore 50k)
- qualified for the national championships of adventure racing with Renn Multisport
- turned 25
- signed up for the Leadville 100 trail race
- turned in my resignation form (as of May) for Memphis City Schools and signed with a job leading backpacking/climbing/biking/paddling trips out West this summer and facilitating school groups doing similar activities in North Carolina this fall
- made it a point to follow my passions rather than the pressure to do what others think is "normal"
- slept outside and lived on the road as much as possible
- had a substantial and meaningful impact on the life of a young person headed down the wrong track in life
- learned to make my own sushi
- continued my commitment to a vegetarian lifestyle
- graduated with a Master's degree
- seen Old Crow Medicine Show twice and Panic once
- learned how very important keeping a positive attitude in a negative environment is to success

So...lots has happened...the most substantial being the leaving of Memphis in June to embark upon a new career as I pursue my dream of working in outdoor education

I feel like I have learned a lot from teaching in the classroom this past year, but at this point in my life, it's just not for me....

Athletically, I have had a pretty good year...I set a 5k PR, pulled 2 podium finishes in trail races and 1 podium finish adventure racing, set a 50k PR, and greatly improved my rock climbing abilities...

I feel like things are going well...I know the future will bring both adventure and challenge in more ways than one....however, I have faith it's all gonna work out....

until next time...happy trails...

No comments: