Friday, April 27, 2007

Ouachita one....Chris zero

So I was originally planning on doing the 50k at Ouachita last weekend...however, Lt. Rob talked me into trying for the 50 mile option....I had my doubts as my longest run is just over 32 miles and I have not done anything near that far since Sylamore back in February...but I decided what the hell..I would go for it

We left Memphis for Little Rock around 2 am Saturday morning....from the very beginning of the day, I was a bit nervous about the run...the race started and we were off...I have no idea how to pace for 50 mies so we decided we were just going to go slow and make the cutoffs....the first few miles down the asphalt sailed by pretty easily, then we hit Pinnacle Mtn...this is a pretty intense climb for a race around these parts...it takes hand and footwork to make it to the summit...definitely got me sweating.....after descending the mountain is where I ran into trouble...coming off the mountain we were only at about mile 4 and I was already having stomach and eating difficulties...we pushed on and I went in and out of the zone, feeling good for a ways then feeling bad for a ways....we got to mile 16 which is where you have the option to drop to 50k and turnaround...I was really tempted but I didn't want to let Rob down so I kept on...

After mile 16 the next aid station was not until mile 24 so it was a pretty long section through some low lying swampy woods...this is where I really fell apart...it was starting to heat up pretty well and I was drinking alot of water...at least a bottle an hour...I was also popping Hammer Endurolytes...I started getting woosy and my hands started to swell really bad...apparently this is a common thing in ultras, but I have never experienced it so I was pretty freaked out....we finally got to aid station at 24 miles and had 2 more miles to go to the turnaround...at this point I really had to decide what I was going to do because I did not really want to keep on....I pushed on to 26 where I called it a day...caught a ride back to the start and waited on Rob....congrats to him, he finished his first 50 miler!

I definitely think I am capable a finishing 50, Saturday was just not my day...It was a pretty good reality check for me that I have not been getting in my long runs like I should...I have also been training in relatively cool temps and the temp on Saturday kicked my ass....

The only good part about dropping at 26 is that I was safely able to drive us home (as Rob could hardly move) and that I was actually able to walk in North Carolina this week....

North Carolina was great...it is beautiful up there...got to spend time with the Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag, tent, and pack designers....learned an incredible amount of technical info that I would not have otherwise known...also learned quite a bit about Mountain Hardwear and their goals as a company....they also provided us with great entertainment...all in all...a great week....

1 comment:

runningtwig said...

Sorry to hear about your race...but it sounds like you had a good time over in NC!