Sunday, July 15, 2007

Back on my feet again...

After taking Monday of last week off to recover from Iron Butt, Lauren and I headed over to Little Rock early Tuesday morning for the Widespread Panic show Tuesday night...whenever we travel these days we generally always try and find somewhere in the area to do something active so we decided to go to Pinnacle Mountain State Park for a trail run and a scramble up Pinnacle....

It's kind of funny how things have changed in the last 3 years....I spent a good 3-4 years of my life with chasing Panic shows all over the South and even out West before I got into a healthier outdoor lifestyle and now, even though I still love going to Panic shows, I just don't have the desire to devote all my vacation time\funds to following a band....I guess I kind of outgrew that stage of my life...now I pretty much limit my shows to a few times a year when they are reasonably close and my ongoing New Years Eve show tradition in Atlanta...and when I do go to shows, rather than spend my time hanging out in the lot, I prefer to actually experience what the area I am in has to offer......

so anyways, back to Little Rock...the entire ride over I spent driving under the speed limit with my hands at 10 and 2 as it was storming like crazy....my plan was for us to run part of the Ouachita Trail that I ran back in April, hit Pinnacle Mtn., then run back around the side of the mountain.....From the get go it rained on us but it was so hot and humid that it actually felt really good....we hit the trail (or scrambling path) up to teh Pinnacle summit and it was a lot tougher than I remember it being during the race...the rocks were extremely slick from the rain and you had to use your hands and feet for almost every step....

we arrived at the top, took a few photos, popped some gu, and got back on it...I was hoping to descend a bit faster but the backside of the mountain was really slick as well even though the footing is much better than the side we came up....came back on a pretty cool trail that went around the side of the mountain and put us out back near the car....total on the day was only 5 miles but it took us exactly 2 hours as the climb up and down Pinnacle slowed us down quite a bit....

The show rocked out on Tuesday night and we were planning on running in Little Rock Wednesday but ended up just heading back to Memphis early....

Thursday I ran 5 from the house down the Wolf River Trails, wasn't the best feeling run ever but wasn't the worst....Friday I worked at the Union Ave. store so I rode my bike there and home which turned out to be a pretty good 30 mile round trip workout...I did a fartlek style interval session on the way home.....

Saturday I woke up early and met up with my usual running crew for the Saturday long run...I was only planning on going two loops on the Tour De Wolf...the first loop was great, felt strong, no pains at all, the second loop started out well then I started fading about halfway....not a total fade out but just a gradual slowing of the pace as I was really feeling not having run long in nearly three weeks....I was a bit sore the rest of the day Saturday and even some today....usually running 12.5 doesn't make me sore but I guess just from taking off for a bit my body is getting used to it again....

Finished the first week back after a two week hiatus with 22.5 miles...hoping to bump it up this week to the mid 30s....

until next time....

No comments: