Tuesday, May 15, 2007

paddle sports

The week has been a good one so far, got in 12 yesterday and felt really good...I was supposed to meet up with the Fleet Feet crew at St. Agnes for a track workout but Lauren called me around 5 45 to let me know that our "coach" had called in sick...I can't say that it was bad news at the time as I gladly welcomed another 3o minutes or so of sleep...

Since I did not get in my organized track workout, I programmed my Garmin for an interval session and planned on knocking it out at Shelby Farms after work...however, I showed up to work and my buddy finally brought his kayak to work and I have been wanting to demo it for quite some time...needless to say, my after work plans changed

I got off work at 6 and rushed home to get out on the lake, as my parents live on Walnut Grove Lake...I hopped in it and took off...it was a great feeling being out on the water...very relaxing...also a very good workout...I ended up paddling about 2.8 miles in 40 minutes...would have kept going but it was getting dark and the storm was coming in....I'm hoping to be able to get in more cross training like this in the future...I feel like it was a pretty steady cardio workout as well as an upper body and core workout, which I definitely should be doing more of...in the past I have always used cycling for cross training but I think paddling is a good one as well because it allows me to give my legs some rest....I have tried swimming in the past but I don't enjoy it and I am definitely not very good at it....

On a side note...this week is National Bike To Work week....I have been failing to do so....starting tomorrow it's on....Friday is national bike to work day....observe if you have the chance!

1 comment:

runningtwig said...

I do wear the smartwool socks and I still get blisters. I really think it's my narrow feet. I'll try some more second skin. Thanks for the advice!