Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Solid Week

Finished up this week on a pretty solid note...skipped Thursday for some definitely needed recovery and then skipped Friday due to laziness...however Saturday I got it back together and went out for my long run...

I parked in the grass right off of G'town parkway at the Wolf River Trails...hit the blue\white all the way to Walnut Grove where I went under the new bridge and took the gravel road over to the Shelby Farms ranger station...after stopping in to refill my bottles I took off on a loop of the Tour de Wolf...refilled at the ranger station once more and hit up a second loop of the tour before stopping one final time to refill and hit the Wolf River trails back to the car....ended up being exactly 24 according to my Garmin...

The whole run felt really good...I was pretty much pain free and did not struggle too much until the last few miles where my pace dropped a bit....I made it a point to fuel very well during this run...I ate 200 calories every hour on the hour and I made sure that I was getting down at least one bottle of water an hour along with 1-2 endurolyte capsules an hour...I even ate at the four hour mark even though I knew I only had about 10 minutes left in the run...in the past I would have skipped that mark because of almost being finished and knowing that I could eat when I was done...however, I really think that that last fueling really aides in recovery, as I was hardly sore at all today....

I also packed a full water bottle and a fatty PB&J sandwich on whole wheat in a cooler in my car...as soon as I got back to the car I chowed down and stretched out really well at the same time...normally I would have immediately jumped in the car and headed home for my stretch and recovery food....I am really becoming a firm believer that I am less sore when I eat within the five minutes following a workout while I'm still warm rather than cooling down and then eating and stretching...

Besides the post run PB&J I fueled on the foods I have come to trust....Strawberry Kiwi Carbboom, Vanilla Carbboom, Vanilla Bean Gu, and Stawberry Clif Shot blocks for some variety....with the heat really cranking up I know that the shot blocks are about as much solid food as my stomach can handle, and I have to use those sparingly....

I took today off...I was kind of wanting to run but I decided that it would be best to hold off since I got in just over 50 this week and I haven't had a 50 mile week in a couple of months...want to make sure I don't tack on too much too fast...I plan on getting in between 55-60 this week....I know I won't have time to get in a good run next Sunday as I'll be head crew/bike mechanic/cheerleader/photographer for my girlfriend Lauren as she rocks her way through the Memphis in May Triathlon.....and I'm doing the track workout Tuesday, so I'll have to find time between then...

Saturday night I watched "Running Madness" which is a DVD about the Western States 100...it's extremely motivational and definitely worth watching....more to say about that later...until then....happy running

1 comment:

runningtwig said...

you're right about the heat! sounds like you had a good run despite it. i'm hoping to build up to 50 mile weeks by the end of the year.

my brother in law is doing the same triathlon this weekend. i wanted to do it also, but i had other plans.